Many of our social security and long term disability clients became unable to work due to an injury “on the job” or a “worker’s compensation” injury. When people suffer such work injuries but their job involves a federal employer or occurs on a military base, federal facility, or a port on a waterway, their claim is often considered Federal (not state) Workers’ Compensation. While very few law firms in the United States accept such cases, the Soloway Law Firm has been doing so for 31 years.

Our practice in Federal Workers’ Compensation (FWC) includes very specific Federal Acts; we do not accept claims of postal workers or certain civilian employees covered by the Federal Employee’s Compensation Act (FECA), although we do provide free legal advice to those persons and help them find an attorney if possible. Instead, our practice areas include the following:

1.) The Defense Base Act (DBA)

Persons injured in foreign countries while performing work for military contractors, including work at military bases, U.S. Embassies in foreign countries, off-base areas outside the United States, and during orientation/training for these jobs while stateside.

2.) The Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LSHWCA)

Persons injured while working as land-based longshoremen, ship repairman injured on vessels afloat on navigable waters, and other maritime employees. If the LSHWCA does not cover you because you are a “seaman” working on a vessel, we handle your claim under the Jones Act instead of FWC.

3.) The Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act (NAFIA)

Persons injured while working at certain jobs on military bases and off-base “Exchanges” or shopping facilities. These include jobs at restaurants, bars, shopping centers, living quarters, meeting halls, and other locations on and off the Navy, Army, Air Force and other Military Bases in Florida and the coastline of the United States.

These Federal Workers Compensation laws provide for both medical treatment and compensation for lost wages and loss of the ability to earn money in the future. The administrative handling of these claims occurs through the United States Department of Labor, initially through the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) and on through the Office of Administrative Law Judges (OALJ) and the Benefits Review Board (BRB). Should your case need to be appealed beyond the administrative process, it would proceed to the United States Circuit Court of Appeals and finally, to the United States Supreme Court.

At the Soloway Law Firm, we are proud to be one of the few law firms in the entire country to handle these FWC cases. We are qualified to handle your case from start to finish, from the initial claim filed with OWCP and if necessary, all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. In our three decades of practice, we have handled hundreds of cases where the employer and its insurance carrier pay all costs and all of our attorneys’ fees—not our client!

In addition, because most of our workers’ compensation clients have additional state and federal remedies available to them to pay for medical care and lost wages (such as Social Security, Short Term and Long Term Disability), we handle ALL claims together so our clients do not have to retain different lawyers for each of their other legal cases. We also investigate and research the possibility of bringing “third party claims” such as personal injury lawsuits where the work injury was caused by someone apart from the employer or co-workers.

Our goal in federal workers’ compensation cases is similar to our other areas of practice, to make a full and fair recovery for you and your family. By handling your FWC case together with all your related claims for Social Security, LTD and even personal injury, we also strive to achieve full and complete success by handling each and every claim you have, under one roof—The Soloway Law Firm.