Forms for Taxes and Social Security Disability Benefits

Social Security Disability Benefits: Do You Have to Pay Taxes?

Here at the Soloway Law Firm we are not tax attorneys, as such we do not give legal advice on what you should do with your taxes and the IRS. However, throughout my years representing social security claimants a common question that I get asked is “Do I have to pay taxes on Social Security benefits?”

The Social Security Administration provides very good information to claimants regarding their benefits and what they need to know when it comes to their benefits. In fact, the Social Security Administration’s pamphlet entitled “What You Need To Know When You Get Social Security Disability Benefits” addresses this very question. You can view and download the pamphlet here. As explained by the Social Security Administration you will only be affected if you:

  • File a federal tax return as an “individual” and your income is more than $25,000.00, you have to pay taxes.
  • File a joint return, you may have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a combined income that is more than $32,000.00.
  • You are married and file a separate return, you will probably pay taxes on your benefits.

These are the general rules as provided by the SSA. I encourage you to consult an experienced tax attorney or certified public accountant to address your concerns that are not covered in this post. Additionally, you can find more information by contacting the Internal Revenue Service or visiting their website at